When to Go
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
When to Go
Peak season runs Thanksgiving through April, when concert, art, and entertainment seasons go full throttle. Expect heat and humidity and some rain in summer. Hurricane winds come most notably in August and September. Golfing tee-time waits are longer on weekends year-round. Regardless of season, remember that Fort Lauderdale sunshine can burn even in cloudy weather.
Annual Festivals and Events
Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show. In late October, Fort Lauderdale hosts the world's largest boat show, the end-all, be-all of marine envy, with more than $2 billion worth of boats, yachts, superyachts, electronics, engines, and thousands of accessories from every major marine manufacturer and builder worldwide. The city buzzes with parties and cocktail hours to celebrate the bling bling water toy mania. 954/764-7642. www.showmanagement.com..
Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival. Beginning in late October, this annual event showcases over 100 feature, documentary, and short films from around the world at downtown's Cinema Paradiso and other local venues. In addition to 21 days of screenings, you can expect seminars and parties; but don't expect the glitterati of a big city film festival. 954/760-9898. www.fliff.com.
Seminole Hard Rock Winterfest Boat Parade. Weeks of pre-events culminate in the largest one-day spectator event in Florida each December, drawing a crowd of 1 million onlookers as a stampede of 1,500 jaw-dropping yachts cruise 10 mi of Fort Lauderdale's waterways, complete with original themes and decorations. Over the years, celebrity grand marshals have included Joan Rivers, Brooke Burke, Kim Kardashian, and Barry Gibb. 954/767-0686. www.winterfestparade.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $140* & up -- Nationwide Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $79-$89 -- Chic South Beach Hotel w/Cocktails, 45% Off Clinton Hotel
- $89 & up -- South Beach Hotel w/VIP Passes, Reg. $179 BookIt.com
- $999 & up -- Weeklong Caribbean Cruise in Summer Royal Caribbean
- $19.99 -- Rent a Hyundai Elantra in Fort Lauderdale Sixt Rent a Car