Nightlife & the Arts in Miami
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
One of Greater Miami's most popular pursuits is bar-hopping. Bars range from intimate enclaves to showy see-and-be-seen lounges to loud, raucous frat parties. There's a New York-style flair to some of the newer lounges, which are increasingly catering to the Manhattan party crowd who escape to South Beach for long weekends. No doubt, Miami's pulse pounds with nonstop nightlife that reflects the area's potent cultural mix. On sultry, humid nights with the huge full moon rising out of the ocean and fragrant night-blooming jasmine intoxicating the senses, who can resist Cuban salsa with some disco and hip-hop thrown in for good measure? When this place throws a party, hips shake, fingers snap, bodies touch. It's no wonder many clubs are still rocking at 5 am. If you're looking for a relatively nonfrenetic evening, your best bet is one of the chic hotel bars on Collins Avenue.
The Miami Herald (www.miamiherald.com) is a good source for information on what to do in town. The Weekend section of the newspaper, included in the Friday edition, has an annotated guide to everything from plays and galleries to concerts and nightclubs. The "Ticket" column of this section details the week's entertainment highlights. Or, you can pick up the Miami New Times (www.miaminewtimes.com), the city's largest free alternative newspaper, published each Thursday. It lists nightclubs, concerts, and special events; reviews plays and movies; and provides in-depth coverage of the local music scene. Night & Day is another rundown of the week's cultural highlights. MIAMI (www.modernluxury.com/miami) andOcean Drive (www.oceandrive.com), Miami's model-strewn, upscale fashion and lifestyle magazines, squeeze club, bar, restaurant, and events listings in with fashion spreads, reviews, and personality profiles. Paparazzi photos of local party people and celebrities give you a taste of Greater Miami nightlife before you even dress up to paint the town.
The Spanish-language El Nuevo Herald (www.elnuevoherald.com), published by the Miami Herald, has extensive information on Spanish-language arts and entertainment, including dining reviews, concert previews, and nightclub highlights.
Browse Miami Nightlife
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $149 -- FL Keys Beach Resort & Marina w/Parking, 50% Off BookIt.com
- $159 & up -- Miami Beach Hotel on Ocean Drive, 50% Off Winter Haven, Autograph Collection
- $1099 & up -- Weeklong Caribbean Cruise in Summer Royal Caribbean
- $11 & up -- Car Rentals in Miami, up to 10% Off Sixt Rent a Car
- $79-$99 -- South Beach Boutique Hotel w/Wi-Fi, Save 50% — $79-$99 BookIt.com