- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
These three trendy, creative neighborhoods are 3 to 4 miles north of downtown and have developed an impressive mix of one-of-a-kind shops and galleries, see-and-be-seen bars, and slick restaurants.
Midtown (midtownmiami.com) lies between Northeast 29th and 36th streets, from North Miami Avenue to Northeast 2nd Avenue.
Just southwest, the funky and edgy Wynwood Art District (www.wynwoodmiami.com) is peppered with galleries, art studios, and private collections accessible to the public. Though the neighborhood hasn't completely shed its dodgy past, artist-painted graffiti walls and reinvented urban, industrial buildings have transformed the area from grimy and gritty to fresh and trendy. The Wynwood Walls on Northwest 2nd Avenue between Northeast 25th and 26th streets are a cutting-edge enclave of modern urban murals. Visit during Wynwood's monthly gallery walk on the second Saturday evening of each month, when studios and galleries are all open at the same time.
To reach the Design District (www.miamidesigndistrict.net), head north up Miami Avenue just beyond Interstate 195. From about Northeast 38th to Northeast 42nd streets, east to North Federal Highway, you'll find 18 blocks of clothiers, antiques shops, design stores, and bars and eateries.
Wynwood/Midtown/Design District at a Glance
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $149 -- FL Keys Beach Resort & Marina w/Parking, 50% Off BookIt.com
- $159 & up -- Miami Beach Hotel on Ocean Drive, 50% Off Winter Haven, Autograph Collection
- $1099 & up -- Weeklong Caribbean Cruise in Summer Royal Caribbean
- $11 & up -- Car Rentals in Miami, up to 10% Off Sixt Rent a Car
- $79-$99 -- South Beach Boutique Hotel w/Wi-Fi, Save 50% — $79-$99 BookIt.com