- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Rod and Gun Club
Rod and Gun Club Review
The striking, polished pecky-cypress woodwork in this historic building dates from the 1920s, when wealthy hunters, anglers, and yachting parties from around the world arrived for the winter season. Presidents Hoover, Roosevelt, Truman, Eisenhower, and Nixon stopped by here, as have Ernest Hemingway, Burt Reynolds, and Mick Jagger. The main dining room holds overflow from the popular, expansive screened porch overlooking the river. Like life in general here, friendly servers move slowly and upkeep is minimal. Fresh seafood dominates, from stone crab claws in season (October 15-May 15) to a surf-and-turf combo of steak and grouper, a swamp-and-turf combo of frogs' legs and steak, and seafood and pasta pairings. For $14.95 you can have your own catch fried, broiled, or blackened, and served with salad, veggies, and potato. Pie offerings include key lime and chocolate-peanut butter. Be aware that separate checks are discouraged and there's a $5 plate-sharing charge. Yesteryear's main lobby is well worth a look—even if you plan to eat elsewhere. Arrive by boat or land.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $649 & up -- 7-Night Roundtrip Spain Cruise in Spring Royal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- 7-Night Cruise thru Mediterranean in Summer — $599 Royal Caribbean
During the planning of our six week road trip I spent many happy hours back in the UK plundering ideas from this forum. Read more
We (me, hub and 7 year old son) spent a week in the Florida Keys mid-March month and loved it! Read more
My Lady Wife and I recently visited Boca.
Here is a review of the restaurants we visited.
Sky Asian Fusion – Holiday Inn Conference Ctr, Ocal, FL
A very nice, Asian-inspired room Read more