- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Manatee Park Review
Here you may glimpse Florida's most famous, yet often hard to spot, marine mammal. When gulf waters are cold—usually from November to March—the sea cows congregate in these waters, which are warmed by the outflow of a towering nearby power plant. Pause at any of the three observation decks (the first nearest the outflow and last at the lagoon usually yield the most sightings) and watch for bubbles. Hydrophones on the last deck allow you to eavesdrop on their songs. Periodically (more frequently on cold days) one of the mammoth creatures—mature adults weigh hundreds of pounds—will surface. Calusa Blueway Outfitters (see) runs the visitor center's gift shop and offers kayak rentals, clinics, and tours to paddle the canals and get closer to the gentle giants.
- Address: 10901 Palm Beach Blvd., 1¼ mi east of I-75 Exit 141, Fort Myers, FL, 33905 | Map It
- Phone: 239/690-5030
- Cost: Parking $1 per hr, $5 daily
- Hours: Park daily 8--sunset; visitor center Nov.--Mar., daily 9--4, Apr.--Oct., weekends 9--1.
- Website: www.leeparks.org
- Location: Fort Myers
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $140* & up -- Nationwide Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $599 & up -- 7-Night Roundtrip Spain Cruise in Spring Royal Caribbean
- $649 & up -- 7-Night Cruise thru Mediterranean in Summer — $649 Royal Caribbean
During the planning of our six week road trip I spent many happy hours back in the UK plundering ideas from this forum. Read more
We (me, hub and 7 year old son) spent a week in the Florida Keys mid-March month and loved it! Read more
I had a chance to spent some time on a cruise ship traveling around North America,
so wanted to share some pictures from the trip; hope you will enjoy it!
http://www.allphotobangkok.com/index.php/around-north-america-cruise-ship-travel/ Read more
· News & Features
Summertime is practically synonymous with road trips.... Read more
A family trip to Hawaii's Big Island would be one filled with outdoor thrills, animal adventures, and... Read more
A babymoon in the Bahamas has one order of business: you must do absolutely nothing.... Read more