- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
In Clearwater itself, residential areas are a buffer between the commercial zone that centers on U.S. 19 and the beach, which is moderately quiet during winter but buzzing with life during spring break and in summer. There's a quaint downtown area on the mainland, just east of the beach. You'll find a nightly sunset celebration on the beach and tons of options for dining and entertainment. Among this area's celebrity residents is Winter, the young dolphin who was fitted with a prosthetic tail and depicted in the 2011 film Dolphin Tale; she is helping put this place and its renowned beaches on the map.
If you're up for a day trip, you have two good options if you head north on U.S. 19. One is Dunedin, a Scottish settlement that's packed with cute shops, restaurants, and craft beer bars. You'll find some gorgeous beaches to the west.
Farther north is charming Tarpon Springs, which has a highly Greek-influenced downtown. Here, you'll find historic sponge docks, a Greek restaurant or two, and some great beaches for watching the sunset.
Clearwater at a Glance
- Caladesi Island State Park
- Clearwater Beach
- Clearwater Marine Aquarium
- Fort Island Gulf Beach
- Honeymoon Island State Park
- Howard Park Beach
- Indian Rocks Beach
- Konger Tarpon Springs Aquarium
Sports and Outdoors
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $140* & up -- Nationwide Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $299 -- FL: Suite at Clearwater Oceanfront Resort, $200 Off Sandpearl Resort
- $1749 -- Balcony: Weeklong Cruise to Bahamas in Summer Royal Caribbean
- $41 & up -- Rent a Mercedes in Florida, 10% Off Sixt Rent a Car
- $59 & up -- Florida, German Luxury Car Rental Guaranteed — $59 Sixt Rent a Car