- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Magic of Disney Animation
The Magic of Disney Animation Review
More than any other backstage peek, this tour truly takes you inside the magic as you follow the many steps of 2-D animation, an art expected to be totally replaced in years to come by computer-generated films such as the Disney/Pixar blockbuster Toy Story. You begin in a small theater with a performance of Drawn to Animation, in which an actor plays the role of an animator interacting with Mushu, the wisecracking character from Mulan. Depending on when you visit, new characters from upcoming Disney films may be introduced near the end of this show.
Then you enter a creative zone to play with computer touch screens. You can voice your favorite character and discover which one is most like you. Watch for popular costumed Disney toon stars to appear in this area for autographs and photos.
The final stop is the Animation Academy. Children and adults can participate as an artist explains how to draw the Disney character du jour—your sketch is your souvenir. As you exit, don't miss the collection of drawings and cels of characters from Snow White, Fantasia, and other classics. Here, too, are the actual Academy Awards that Disney has won for its animated films. The entire experience can take 15 to 30 minutes or more if you play at interactive exhibits or take part in the Animation Academy. For people with disabilities: Wheelchair accessible, has reflective captioning and equipped for audio-description devices. Come early or late. To test your talents at Animation Academy, go there first or get in line quickly after the Drawn to Animation show. Toddlers may get bored.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $79 -- Orlando 1-Bedroom Suite near Disney, 20% Off Star Island Resort & Club
- $99 -- Orlando: Family Friendly 1-BR Condo near Theme Parks Wyndham Cypress Palms
- $1749 -- Balcony: Weeklong Cruise to Bahamas in Summer Royal Caribbean
- $19.99 & up -- Rent a Hyundai Elantra in Orlando Sixt Rent a Car
- $71-$111 -- Family Resort inside Disney w/Shuttles, 60% Off — $71-$111 BookIt.com
During the planning of our six week road trip I spent many happy hours back in the UK plundering ideas from this forum. Read more
We (me, hub and 7 year old son) spent a week in the Florida Keys mid-March month and loved it! Read more
I'm looking to move the family from Maine to Florida but have no idea what part of Florida to consider. Read more
· News & Features
The Swiss city of Basel is getting ready to host to the who's who of the art world yet again, with the ... Read more
Do you suffer from Vacation Deprivation?... Read more
Steinbeck said it well—no matter how many plans you make, its the destination that scoops you up... Read more