- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Studio Backlot Tour
Studio Backlot Tour Review
The first stop on this tour, which you enter at the far end of Pixar Place where it meets Streets of America, is an outdoor special-effects water tank, where some of you are recruited for an unforgettable (and very wet) video moment. The line for the tram ride passes through a huge prop warehouse, which stores everything from traffic lights to British phone booths.
Board the tram for a tour of different departments—set design, costumes, props, lighting—as well as the movie set for Catastrophe Canyon. A simulated earthquake sets off multiple reactions—beware disaster! As the tram pulls out, you see the backstage workings of the catastrophe: the canyon is actually a mammoth steel slide wrapped in copper-colored concrete, and 70,000 gallons of "floodwater"—enough to fill 10 Olympic-size swimming pools—are recycled every 3½ minutes.
You also ride past the Streets of America back lot, where you can glimpse the New York Street with its brownstone facades. Pose for a photo by the Empire State and Chrysler buildings. You'll have to walk the Streets set after exiting the tram to see the San Francisco and Chicago side streets. For people with disabilities: Wheelchair accessible and equipped for handheld- and video-captioning devices. Come early (it closes at dusk) and remember that people sitting on the left side of the tram get wet.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $71-$111 -- Family Resort inside Disney w/Shuttles, 60% Off BookIt.com
- $69-$99 -- Orlando Resort w/Upgrade to 3-BR Villa, 50% Off BookIt.com
- $1749 -- Balcony: Weeklong Cruise to Bahamas in Summer Royal Caribbean
- $8 & up -- Car Rentals across Florida CarRentals.com
- $862 & up -- Florida: Club Med Sandpiper Bay, Save 40% — $862 Club Med Sandpiper Bay
During the planning of our six week road trip I spent many happy hours back in the UK plundering ideas from this forum. Read more
We (me, hub and 7 year old son) spent a week in the Florida Keys mid-March month and loved it! Read more
I'm looking to move the family from Maine to Florida but have no idea what part of Florida to consider. Read more
· News & Features
Wineries have a very obvious main draw. ... Read more
The Aran Islands (Inishmore, Inishmaan, and Inisheer) are three small, but adventure-packed islands o... Read more
It happens all the time: you're just stopping in to grab one thing and the next thing you know, you've... Read more