- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Pirates of the Caribbean
Pirates of the Caribbean Review
This is one of the few rides in the world that inspired a film (Haunted Mansion with Eddie Murphy was another) rather than the other way around.
The gracious arched entrance soon gives way to a dusty dungeon, redolent of dampness and of a spooky, scary past. Lanterns flicker as you board the boats and a ghostly voice intones, "Dead men tell no tales." Next, a deserted beach, strewn with shovels, a skeleton, and a disintegrating map indicating buried treasure prefaces this story of greed, lust, and destruction. You'll pass right through a water-mist screen featuring the maniacal mug of Davy Jones, complete with squirming tentacle beard and barnacle-encrusted hat. Emerging from a pitch-black tunnel after a mild, tummy-tickling drop, you're caught between a pirate ship cannon-blasting a stone fortress. Look for Captain Barbossa, evil nemesis of Captain Jack Sparrow. Audio-Animatronics pirates hoist the Jolly Roger while brave soldiers scurry to defend the fort—to no avail.
Politically correct nerves may twinge as the women of the town are rounded up and auctioned, but the wenches rule in another scene, where they chase roguish rapscallions with glee. The wild antics of the pirates—Captain Jack Sparrow pops up in several situations—result in a conflagration; the town goes up in flames, and all go to their just reward amid a catchy chorus of "A Pirate's Life For Me." For people with disabilities: Boarding requires transferring from a standard wheelchair to the ride vehicle; the very small flume drop may make the attraction inappropriate for those with limited upper-body strength or those wearing neck or back braces. Equipped for audio-description and handheld-captioning devices. This is a great destination in the heat of the afternoon, and lines move steadily.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $79 -- Orlando 1-Bedroom Suite near Disney, 20% Off Star Island Resort & Club
- $99 -- Orlando: Family Friendly 1-BR Condo near Theme Parks Wyndham Cypress Palms
- $1749 -- Balcony: Weeklong Cruise to Bahamas in Summer Royal Caribbean
- $19.99 & up -- Rent a Hyundai Elantra in Orlando Sixt Rent a Car
- $71-$111 -- Family Resort inside Disney w/Shuttles, 60% Off — $71-$111 BookIt.com
During the planning of our six week road trip I spent many happy hours back in the UK plundering ideas from this forum. Read more
We (me, hub and 7 year old son) spent a week in the Florida Keys mid-March month and loved it! Read more
Do you think I could get a cruise to the Key West from Miami and back? Read more
· News & Features
Earlier this week, Consumer Reports released their annual study of the best and worst domestic airlines.... Read more
From the steamed cider aromas that hit you in the lobby to the local ingredients served in the restaurant,... Read more
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City.... Read more