- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Tree of Life—It's Tough to Be a Bug!
Tree of Life—It's Tough to Be a Bug! Review
A monument to all Earth's creatures, the park's centerpiece is an imposing 14 stories high and 50 feet wide at its base. Its 100,000-plus leaves are several shades of green fabric, each carefully placed for a realistic effect. Carved into its thick trunk, gnarled roots, and soaring branches—some of which are supported by joints that allow them to sway in a strong wind—are nearly 350 intricate animal forms that include a baboon, a whale, a horse, the mighty lion, and even an ankylosaurus. Outside, paths tunnel underneath the roots as the fauna-encrusted trunk towers overhead.
The path leads you inside the tree trunk, where you get a bug's-eye view of life. The whimsical 3-D film adventure It's Tough to Be a Bug! is modeled on the animated film A Bug's Life from Disney-Pixar. Special effects spray you with "poison," zap you with a swatter, and even poke you with a stinger—all in good fun.
Although the show has something for all ages, it's very loud. Some effects frighten children under 8. For people with disabilities: Wheelchair accessible, but, to fully experience all the special effects, guests using wheelchairs should transfer to a seat. Equipped with reflective captioning and for audio-description and assisted-listening devices. If you have a service animal, check with a host before entering the theater. Get a Fastpass reservation after doing the Kilimanjaro Safari. Or save your Fastpass for a ride like Expedition Everest, and get into the regular line along the Discovery Island Trails.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $79 -- Orlando 1-Bedroom Suite near Disney, 20% Off Star Island Resort & Club
- $99 -- Orlando: Family Friendly 1-BR Condo near Theme Parks Wyndham Cypress Palms
- $1749 -- Balcony: Weeklong Cruise to Bahamas in Summer Royal Caribbean
- $19.99 & up -- Rent a Hyundai Elantra in Orlando Sixt Rent a Car
- $71-$111 -- Family Resort inside Disney w/Shuttles, 60% Off — $71-$111 BookIt.com
During the planning of our six week road trip I spent many happy hours back in the UK plundering ideas from this forum. Read more
We (me, hub and 7 year old son) spent a week in the Florida Keys mid-March month and loved it! Read more
I'm looking to move the family from Maine to Florida but have no idea what part of Florida to consider. Read more
· News & Features
The Swiss city of Basel is getting ready to host to the who's who of the art world yet again, with the ... Read more
Do you suffer from Vacation Deprivation?... Read more
Steinbeck said it well—no matter how many plans you make, its the destination that scoops you up... Read more