- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad Review
Set in gold-rush days, this thrilling roller coaster simulates a runaway train. It's a bumpy ride with several good drops (pregnant women and guests wearing back, neck, or leg braces should avoid this one). There are moments when you feel like you're going to fly right off the tracks. Overall it's more fun than scary, and you'll see kids as young as 7 lining up to ride. The train rushes and rattles past 20 Audio-Animatronics figures—mostly critters—as well as $300,000 worth of genuine antique mining equipment, tumbleweeds, a derelict mining town, hot springs, and a flash flood.
The 197-foot mountain landscape is based on the windswept scenery of Arizona's Monument Valley, and thanks to 650 tons of steel, 4,675 tons of concrete, and 16,000 gallons of paint, it replicates the area's gorges, tunnels, caverns, and dry river beds. For people with disabilities: You must be able to step into the ride vehicle and walk short distances. Service animals aren't permitted. Use Fastpass unless the wait is less than 15 minutes. The ride is most exciting at night, when you can't anticipate the curves and the track's rattling really sounds as if something's about to give.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $59-$69 -- Orlando Resort w/Shuttle & Kids Eat Free, 50% Off Bookit.com
- $1079 & up -- Florida: Club Med Sandpiper Bay, Save 40% Club Med Sandpiper Bay
- $649 & up -- Weeklong Cruise to Bahamas in Summer Royal Caribbean
- $8.46 & up -- Car Rentals across Florida CarRentals.com
- $80-$108 -- Castle-Themed Resort near Universal, 40% Off — $80-$108 Holiday Inn Resort Orlando - The Castle
During the planning of our six week road trip I spent many happy hours back in the UK plundering ideas from this forum. Read more
We (me, hub and 7 year old son) spent a week in the Florida Keys mid-March month and loved it! Read more
My Lady Wife and I recently visited Boca.
Here is a review of the restaurants we visited.
Sky Asian Fusion – Holiday Inn Conference Ctr, Ocal, FL
A very nice, Asian-inspired room Read more
· News & Features
Montenegro is heating up, and for good reason. ... Read more
You're all ready to go to Disney—the kids are packed, you've got good walking shoes.... Read more
Love 'em?... Read more