- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Madison/Morgan County Chamber of Commerce (115 E. Jefferson St., Madison, GA, 30605. 706/342-4454 or 800/709-7406. www.madisonga.org.)
Fun on the Water
Eatonton sits in the center of Georgia's Lake Country. Lake Oconee and Lake Sinclair, both created and maintained by Georgia Power, are nearby.
Lawrence Shoals Park. On the shores of Lake Oconee, the second-largest body of water in Georgia, Lawrence Shoals Park offers a boat ramp, beach area, picnic shelter, and camping facilities. 123 Wallace Dam Rd., Eatonton, GA, 31024. 706/485-5494. www.georgiapower.com/lakes.
Lake Sinclair Recreational Area. Lake Sinclair is a favorite of anglers and is the site of a fishing tournament each year. Georgia Power maintains several parks with boat ramps, fishing piers, and campgrounds. About 11 mi from Eatonton, Lake Sinclair Recreational Area, maintained by the U.S. Forestry Service, has a beach, boat ramp, and campsites. Twin Bridges Rd., Eatonton, GA. 770/297-3000. www.fs.usda.gov.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $67 -- 4-Star Atlanta Perimeter Hotel Hotwire.com