- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Blue Ridge Scenic Railway
Blue Ridge Scenic Railway Review
Ride the rails on a four-hour, 26-mi round-trip excursion along the Toccoa River. The trip includes a stop in McCaysville, smack on the Georgia-Tennessee state line. Several restaurants, shops, and galleries are open during the two-hour layover. The train, which has open Pullman cars and is pulled by diesel engines, is staffed with friendly volunteer hosts. The ticket office, now on the National Register of Historic Places, dates from 1905 and was originally the depot of the L&N Railroad. Children of all ages enjoy the ride. In summer you may want to consider the air-conditioned coaches. Raft-and-rail ($68-$83) and raft-and-tubing ($50) packages are available.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $67 -- 4-Star Atlanta Perimeter Hotel Hotwire.com
Tomorrow I head out on my next trip: Georgia, Armenia, Syria, Lebanon and Jordan. Read more
Does anyone have any recommendations for well located, local (ie, non-chain, non-Marriott) hotels in these three cities (trip not until next August).
Thanks Read more
· News & Features
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic ... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more