- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Foxfire Museum and Heritage Center
Foxfire Museum and Heritage Center Review
In 1966, students at the Rabin Gap-Nacoochee School wrote articles for a magazine based on generations-old family stories. Their excitement in chronicling life in the Appalachians has led to more than a dozen Foxfire books, which have sold nearly 9 million copies. The nonprofit foundation behind Foxfire opened the center to students and teachers worldwide, inviting them to the Foxfire Course for Teachers. A collection of authentic and reconstructed log cabins, a gristmill, a blacksmith's shop, and a church, accessible by a rough gravel road, re-create Appalachian life before the days of electricity and running water.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $67 -- 4-Star Atlanta Perimeter Hotel Hotwire.com
Tomorrow I head out on my next trip: Georgia, Armenia, Syria, Lebanon and Jordan. Read more
Does anyone have any recommendations for well located, local (ie, non-chain, non-Marriott) hotels in these three cities (trip not until next August).
Thanks Read more
· News & Features
We're sure your friends' Instagram photos of their puppies are super cute, but Brad Tully's animal snaps... Read more
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more