- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Savannah Restaurant Reviews
Southern cuisine is rich in tradition, but the dining scene in Savannah is more than just fried chicken and barbecue. Many of the city's restaurants have been exploring locally sourced ingredients as a way to tweak their usual homespun offerings, a change that is now attracting chefs and foodies alike.
While the farm-to-table trend was first spotted at upscale spots like the Sapphire Grill, Cha Bella or Local 11ten, more neighborhood restaurants are now getting in on the action. Places like the Green Truck Pub utilize locally raised, grass-fed beef for their burgers, and after-dinner options now even include locally roasted coffee.
The arrival of some new kids on the block doesn't mean the old standbys have ridden off into the sunset just yet. For traditional, exquisitely prepared menus, be sure to visit Elizabeth's on 37th or the Olde Pink House, both of which have been pleasing local palates for decades. Or follow the crowds to either Paula Deen's famous Lady & Sons or the ever-popular Mrs. Wilkes' Dining Room (which even President Obama once visited), where you'll find all the fried chicken, collard greens, and mac 'n' cheese you can handle. Or beat the lines at locals-only places like Sisters of the New South on the city's Eastside.
If you're looking for barbecue, several spots downtown can satisfy your urge for slow-cooked meats of all kind. For lunch, check out Angel's BBQ, a hole-in-the-wall spot with some of the city's best pork or brisket, as well as fried-bologna sandwiches. Another popular spot with local meat lovers is Wiley's Championship BBQ, located on nearby Wilmington Island. This relative newcomer is now regularly named as the locals' favorite place for barbecue.
That's just a few ideas to get you started. While exploring Savannah, you're sure to find any number of other exciting options as well, whether you're craving fresh sushi or a simple sandwich.
Browse Savannah Restaurants
- American: Creole
- American: Modern American
- American: Southern
- Asian: Asian Fusion
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $152-$190 -- South Carolina: Hilton Head Resort at 30% Off Holiday Inn Resort The Beach House
- $255 -- 2-BR Villa at Hilton Head Beachfront Resort, 50% Off Marriott's Monarch at Sea Pines
- $67 -- 4-Star Atlanta Perimeter Hotel — $67 Hotwire.com