- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Little St. Simons Island
Little St. Simons Island is 15 minutes by boat from St. Simons Island, but in character it's a world apart. The entire island is a privately owned resort. The only habitations comprise a rustic former hunting lodge on the riverfront, three upscale cottages, and two river houses; none have telephones or televisions. This compound is so at one with its surroundings that the deer graze in the open. "Luxury" on Little St. Simons Island means having the time and space to get in tune with the rhythms of nature.
The island's forests and marshes are inhabited by deer, armadillos, raccoons, gators, otters, and more than 280 species of birds, some of which migrate to and from the island at various times during the year. As a guest at the resort, you can take part in guided activities with on-site naturalists, including birding walks, beachcombing, kayak trips, and fishing excursions, all for no additional charge. You're also free to walk the 7 mi of undisturbed beaches, swim in the mild surf, fish from the dock, and seine for shrimp and crab along the shore.
Little St. Simons Island at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Coastal Isles and the Okefenokee
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $159-$179 -- Ritz Carlton Atlanta in Spring, Save $80 Expedia
- $255 -- 2-BR Villa at Hilton Head Beachfront Resort, 50% Off Marriott's Monarch at Sea Pines
- $67 -- 4-Star Atlanta Perimeter Hotel — $67 Hotwire.com