- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
The sprawling Puna District includes part of the Volcano area and stretches northeast down to the coast. If you're staying in Hilo for the night, driving around wild lower Puna is a great way to spend a morning.
The roads connecting Pahoa to Kapoho and the Kalapana coast form a loop that's about 25 mi long; driving times are from two to three hours, depending on the number of stops you make and the length of time at each stop. There are restaurants, stores, and gas stations in Pahoa, but services elsewhere in the region are spotty. There are long stretches of the road that may be completely isolated at any given point; this can be a little scary at night but beautiful and tranquil during the day.
Compared to big-city living, it's pretty tame, but there is a bit of a "locals only" vibe in parts of Puna, and a drug problem in Pahoa, so don't go wandering around at night.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $118 & up -- Waikiki Beach Hotel w/Oceanarium & Spa, 35% Off BookIt.com
- $199 & up -- Big Island Family Beach Hotel, Kids Eat Free BookIt.com
- $675 & up -- Sheraton Kauai: 3-Nt. Vacation w/Car Rental Pleasant Holidays
- $9.99 & up -- Car Rentals across Hawaii CarRentals.com
- $219 & up -- Oceanview Room at Oahu 4-Star Resort, 45% Off — $219 BookIt.com