- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
You can see most of what Waimea has to offer in one day, but if you're heading up to Mauna Kea for stargazing (which you should), it could easily be stretched to two. If you stay in Waimea overnight (there are a few bed-and-breakfast options), or just get up really early, you could go for a morning horseback (or ATV) ride around the Parker Ranch, spend the afternoon browsing through town or touring some of the area's fantastic farms and ranches, then indulge in a gourmet dinner—all before heading up Saddle Road for world-renowned stargazing atop Mauna Kea.
A word to the wise—there are no services or gas stations on Saddle Road, the only way to reach the summit of Mauna Kea. Fill up on gas and bring water, snacks and warm clothes with you (there are plenty of gas stations, cafés, and shops in Waimea).
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $219 & up -- Oceanview Room at Oahu 4-Star Resort, 45% Off BookIt.com
- $349-$389 -- Maui 4-Star Oceanfront Resort, Save 45% BookIt.com
- $675 & up -- Sheraton Kauai: 3-Nt. Vacation w/Car Rental Pleasant Holidays
- $13.53 & up -- Car Rentals across Hawaii CarRentals.com
- $325-$335 -- Waikiki 4-Star Oceanfront Resort through Spring — $325-$335 Sheraton Waikiki