Parasailing in Maui
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Parasailing is an easy, exhilarating way to earn your wings: just strap on a harness attached to a parachute, and a powerboat pulls you up and over the ocean from a launching dock or a boat's platform. Parasailing is limited to West Maui, and "thrill craft"—including parasails—are prohibited in Maui waters during humpback whale-calving season, December 15 to May 15.
Lessons and Tours
UFO Parasail. This cheekily named company offers single, tandem, and triple rides at 600 feet ($70), 800 feet ($80), or 1,200 feet ($85). Rides last from 7 to 14 minutes, depending on headcount. It's more fun to take the "dip" (when the boat slows down to let the parachute descend slowly in the water). You'll get a little wet, though you'll probably catch more water while on the boat watching the others take flight. Observers are welcome aboard for $35. 12 Ulupono St., Lahaina, HI, 96761. 808/661-7836. www.ufoparasail.net.
West Maui Parasail. Soar at 800 feet above the ocean for a bird's-eye view of Lahaina, or be daring at 1,200 feet for smoother rides and even better views. The captain will be glad to let you experience a "toe dip" or "freefall" if you request it. Hour-long trips departing from Lahaina Harbor and Kaanapali Beach include 8- to 10-minute flights and run from $70 for the 800-foot ride to $80 for the 1,200-foot ride. Observers pay $35 each. 15 Lahaina Hbr., Lahaina, HI. 808/661-4060. www.westmauiparasail.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $349-$389 -- Maui 4-Star Oceanfront Resort, Save 45% BookIt.com
- $325-$335 -- Waikiki 4-Star Oceanfront Resort through Spring Sheraton Waikiki
- $1029 & up -- Big Island 3-Night Getaways incl. Air, Car Pleasant Holidays
- $1399 & up -- 7-Nt. Hawaii Cruise on Norwegian, R/T Honolulu American Express Travel
- $13.53 & up -- Car Rentals across Hawaii CarRentals.com