- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Cowboy Fun: Rodeos and Polo
Paniolos (Hawaiian cowboys) show off their skills at three major annual events: the Piiholo Cowboy Classic in September; the Oskie Rice Memorial Rodeo in December; and Maui's biggest event, the 4th of July Rodeo, which comes with a full parade in Makawao town and festivities that last for days.
Polo is popular with the Upcountry paniolos. From April through June, Haleakala Ranch hosts "indoor" or arena contests on a field flanked by side boards. The field is on Route 377, 1 mile from Route 37. During the "outdoor" polo season, September to mid-November, matches are held at Olinda Field, 1 mile above Makawao on Olinda Road. There's a $5 admission for most games, which start at 1:30 pm on Sunday.
Manduke Baldwin Memorial Tournament. Held over Memorial Day weekend, the Manduke Baldwin Memorial Tournament is a popular two-day polo event. It draws challengers from Argentina, England, South Africa, New Zealand, and Australia. 808/877-7744. www.mauipoloclub.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $108 & up -- Waikiki Beach Hotel w/Oceanarium & Spa, 35% Off BookIt.com
- $142-$195 -- Maui Hotel across from Beach w/Wi-Fi & Parking BookIt.com
- $675 & up -- Sheraton Kauai: 3-Nt. Vacation w/Car Rental Pleasant Holidays
- $1399 & up -- 7-Nt. Hawaii Cruise on Norwegian, R/T Honolulu American Express Travel
- $9.99 & up -- Car Rentals across Hawaii CarRentals.com