- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Upcountry MauiView Map
The west-facing upper slopes of Haleakala are locally called "Upcountry." This region is responsible for much of Maui's produce—lettuce, tomatoes, strawberries, sweet Maui onions, and much, much more. You'll notice cactus thickets mingled with purple jacaranda, wild hibiscus, and towering eucalyptus trees. Keep an eye out for pueo, Hawaii's native owl, which hunts these fields during daylight hours.
Upcountry is also fertile ranch land; cowboys still work the fields of the historic 20,000-acre Ulupalakua Ranch and the 32,000-acre Haleakala Ranch. Take an agricultural tour and learn more about the island's bounty. Lavender, cheese, and wine are among your choices.
A drive to Upcountry Maui from Wailea (South Shore) or Kaanapali (West Maui) can be an all-day outing if you take the time to visit Tedeschi Vineyards and the tiny but entertaining town of Makawao. You may want to cut these side trips short and combine your Upcountry tour with a visit to Haleakala National Park. It's a Maui must-see. If you leave early enough to catch the sunrise from the summit of Haleakala, you'll have plenty of time to explore the mountain, have lunch in Kula or at Ulupalakua Ranch, and end your day with dinner in Makawao.
Upcountry Maui at a Glance
Elsewhere in Maui
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $118 & up -- Oahu: Waikiki Beach Hotel w/Oceanarium, 35% Off BookIt.com
- $129-$155 -- Oahu Hotel near Waikiki Beach w/Rooftop Pool BookIt.com
- $1029 & up -- Big Island 3-Night Getaways incl. Air, Car Pleasant Holidays
- $1399 & up -- 7-Nt. Hawaii Cruise on Norwegian, R/T Honolulu American Express Travel
- $13.53 & up -- Car Rentals across Hawaii CarRentals.com