Nightlife & the Arts in Chicago
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Despite their hardworking Midwestern image, Chicagoans know how to let loose. And, unlike that big city on the East Coast (ahem), the city that plays as hard as it works is refreshingly devoid of attitude. Sure, some nightclubs trot out the velvet ropes or feature exclusive, members-only VIP rooms, but for the most part Chicago's nightlife scene reflects the same qualities that make the city itself great: it's lively, diverse, and completely unpretentious.
Entertainment options abound every night of the week. The challenge won't be finding something that suits your mood and budget, but rather narrowing down the seemingly endless array of choices. Should you hit the theater for a Broadway in Chicago spectacle followed by a post-performance cocktail? Or explore the city's dynamic fringe theater scene? Catch some first-rate improv? Or get your dance on at a trendy nightclub?
Music lovers will find much to adore in Chicago. The city is justifiably famous for its blues scene, which still thrives in clubs from the South Side to the North Side, but it's equally fertile ground for classical, folk, rock, alt-country, or whatever genre captures your fancy. The summer's free concert series in Grant Park and Millennium Park—from the jam-packed blues and jazz festivals to low-key weeknight concerts—consistently draw top-tier performers.
If your idea of the perfect evening means kicking back with a local brew or a glass of wine, there are bars and lounges catering to every taste—from neighborhood dives to sports bars to swanky spots where patrons dress to the nines. Some of these locales also feature entertainment in the form of karaoke, trivia competitions, readings and poetry slams, or even big-screen Nintendo Wii games.
In the summer, Chicagoans thankful for an end to the long winter head out in droves to the city's many rooftop bars and patios. The hotel bar scene has exploded in the past few years, and now features some of the city's trendiest nightspots, including a number of rooftop lounges with bird's-eye views of the city.
There's only one thing you won't find in Chicago: the urge to hole up in your hotel room at night.
Browse Chicago Nightlife
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $129 & up -- Chicago: 4-Star Michigan Avenue Hotel, 65% Off The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago
- $127 & up -- Weekends at 4-Star Chicago-Area Hotel, Save 65% The Westin Lombard Yorktown Center
- $127 & up -- Weekends at 4-Star Chicago-Area Hotel, Save 65% — $127 The Westin Lombard Yorktown Center
- $199 & up -- Chicago 4-Star Riverfront Hotel, Save 40% — $199 Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers