- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Swedish American Museum Center
Swedish American Museum Center Review
You don't have to be Swedish to find this tiny and welcoming museum interesting. On permanent display, for example, are trunks immigrants brought with them to Chicago, and a map showing where in the city different immigrant groups settled. On the third floor, in the only children's museum in the country dedicated to immigration, kids can climb aboard a colorful Viking ship or "milk" a wooden cow, pulling rubber udders to collect streams of water in a bucket.
- Address: 5211 N. Clark St., Andersonville, Chicago, IL, 60640 | Map It
- Phone: 773/728-8111
- Cost: $4, free 2nd Tues. of month
- Hours: Weekdays 10--4, weekends 11--4. Children's section Mon.--Thurs. 1--4, Fri. 10--4, weekends 11--4.
- Website: www.swedishamericanmuseum.org
- Location: Lakeview and the Far North Side
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $127 & up -- Weekends at 4-Star Chicago-Area Hotel, Save 65% The Westin Lombard Yorktown Center
- $199 & up -- Chicago 4-Star Riverfront Hotel, Save 40% Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers
- $129 & up -- Chicago: 4-Star Michigan Avenue Hotel, 65% Off — $129 The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago
- $127 & up -- Weekends at 4-Star Chicago-Area Hotel, Save 65% — $127 The Westin Lombard Yorktown Center
Thanks to all that provided suggestions for our weekend trip to Chicago!
DH and I went to Chicago because DS' high school band was performing at the Windy City Band Festival at Dominican University and Read more
Hi. Read more
We will both be 22 years old by the time we fly out and have recently completed university. We are coming over to the USA to experience the big cities, the bars, the beaches, the culture Read more
· News & Features
The James Beard award winners were just announced this week, so the race is on to try and get a table ... Read more
From a hidden drum circle in Washington DC to awesome sushi in Chicago's Ukrainian neighborhood, we've... Read more
He may have never visited Chicago himself, but the Windy City played a huge role in Picasso's artistic... Read more