- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Cantigny Park Review
The 500 acres of this estate offer multiple attractions: an impressive military history museum with immersive exhibits (including touch-screen videos and re-created battle scenes), sprawling grounds with formal gardens, and its own 27-hole public golf course with separate youth links. The centerpiece, however, is the Beaux Arts-style Col. Robert R. McCormick Museum. Built for the former Chicago Tribune owner, the 35-room mansion features the Joseph Medill Library, the stately wood-paneled Freedom Hall, and an Art Deco movie theater in the basement. The hidden Prohibition-era bar alone is worth a visit—we won't ruin the surprise by revealing where it is.
- Address: 1S151 Winfield Rd., Western Suburbs, Wheaton, IL, 60189 | Map It
- Phone: 630/668-5161
- Cost: $5 per car when museum is open, $2 when museums are closed; grounds and museum tours free
- Hours: Grounds and gardens: Nov.--Apr., daily 9 am--sunset; May--Oct., daily 7 am--sunset. Museums: Nov.--Apr., Tues.--Sun. 10--4; May--Oct., Tues.--Sun. 10--5. Park and grounds closed Jan. and Mon.--Thurs. Feb.
- Website: www.cantigny.org
- Location: Chicago Outskirts
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $129 & up -- Chicago: 4-Star Michigan Avenue Hotel, 65% Off The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago
- $127 & up -- Weekends at 4-Star Chicago-Area Hotel, Save 65% The Westin Lombard Yorktown Center
- $127 & up -- Weekends at 4-Star Chicago-Area Hotel, Save 65% — $127 The Westin Lombard Yorktown Center
- $199 & up -- Chicago 4-Star Riverfront Hotel, Save 40% — $199 Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers
Thanks to all that provided suggestions for our weekend trip to Chicago!
DH and I went to Chicago because DS' high school band was performing at the Windy City Band Festival at Dominican University and Read more
Hi. Read more
We will both be 22 years old by the time we fly out and have recently completed university. We are coming over to the USA to experience the big cities, the bars, the beaches, the culture Read more
· News & Features
The James Beard award winners were just announced this week, so the race is on to try and get a table... Read more
From a hidden drum circle in Washington DC to awesome sushi in Chicago's Ukrainian neighborhood, we've... Read more
He may have never visited Chicago himself, but the Windy City played a huge role in Picasso's artistic... Read more