Nightlife & the Arts in New Orleans
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
New Orleans Nightlife
There are many iconic images that come to mind when people think of New Orleans nightlife, including the neon glitz of Bourbon Street and the lone jazzman playing his horn beneath an old French Quarter gas lamp. But this is only the start of what New Orleans nightlife is all about. Whether you're looking for the simple pleasures of a perfectly constructed cocktail with a balcony view, or something entirely more adventurous, you've come to the right place.
No American town places such a premium on pleasure as New Orleans. From swank hotel lounges and refined jazz halls to sweaty dance clubs and raucous Bourbon Street bars, this city is serious about frivolity—and famous for it. Partying is more than an occasional indulgence in this city; it's a lifestyle. The bars and clubs that pulse with music are the city's lifeblood, and are found in every neighborhood. Like stars with their own gravity, they draw people through their doors to belly up to the bars or head feet first onto the dance floors. Blues, jazz, funk, R&B, rock, roots, Cajun, and zydeco—there are almost too many kinds of music and nightlife experiences to cover in one chapter. On any day or night of the year, the city is brimming with musical possibilities.
The French Quarter and Faubourg Marigny are the easiest places to find great music and nightspots. The venues are numerous and all within easy walking distance of each other. In the nearby Warehouse District, New Orleans institutions like Howlin' Wolf, Mulate's, and Circle Bar have been joined by scores of new bars, clubs, and restaurants. Moving upriver through the Garden District and Uptown, you'll find some of the most famous music spots in the city, such as Tipitina's and Maple Leaf. The Bywater, Mid-City, and Tremé are residential neighborhoods with fewer commercial strips, but they too have their crown jewels, like Vaughan's, Bullet's, and Rock 'n Bowl.
Browse New Orleans Nightlife
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $140* & up -- Nationwide Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $59-$84 -- New Orleans Historic Mansion near French Quarter BookIt.com
- $89-$112 -- New Orleans French Quarter Hotel w/Drinks BookIt.com
- $169 & up -- 4-Star French Quarter Hotel, Save 45% — $169 Expedia
- $83 -- 4-Star New Orleans Hotel near French Quarter — $83 Hotwire.com