- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Tulane University Review
Next to Loyola University on St. Charles Avenue, the university's three original buildings face the avenue: Tilton Hall (1902) on the right, Gibson Hall (1894) in the middle, and Dinwiddie Hall (1924) on the left. The Romanesque style, with its massive stone look and arches, is repeated in the several buildings around a quad behind these. Modern campus buildings extend another three blocks to the rear. Tulane is known for its medical school, law school, and fine main library. The Sophie H. Newcomb College for Women was Tulane's coordinate women's college until it was merged with Tulane College as part of a post-Katrina renewal plan in 2006. The college's memorial institute maintains the Newcomb College Center for Research on Women, a women's resource center that brings in speakers, writers, and academics.
The newly renovated Middle American Research Institute and Gallery (504/ 865-5110, mari.tulane.edu), located on the third floor of Tulane's Dinwiddie Hall, includes the world's oldest documented Guatemalan textile collection and a replica of a Mayan altar. Established in 1924, the collection also includes unusual artifacts like poison-dart arrows from Venezuela and shrunken heads from the Brazilian rain forest. The pre-Columbian, Central and South American artifacts are complemented by an associated collection of books on Latin American culture housed in Tulane's main library. The gallery is open to the public Tuesday through Friday, 10 to 3, but appointments are recommended.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $59-$84 -- New Orleans Historic Mansion near French Quarter BookIt.com
- $89-$112 -- New Orleans French Quarter Hotel w/Drinks BookIt.com
- $169 & up -- 4-Star French Quarter Hotel, Save 45% — $169 Expedia
- $82 -- 4-Star New Orleans Hotel near French Quarter — $82 Hotwire.com
During the planning of our six week road trip I spent many happy hours back in the UK plundering ideas from this forum. Read more
New Orleans, LA – April 20 to 25, 2013
We decided to go back to New Orleans to celebrate my 45th birthday. Read more
I'm heading to NOLA at the end of this month and a friend of mine was told that she must try the alligator cheesecake. Read more
· News & Features
The New Orleans Jazz Festival is a force to be reckoned with—a fact we learned firsthand attending... Read more
Whether you're a cocktail aficionado or a mixology amateur, you'll learn a ton about your favorite drinks... Read more
If there's one time you can't know what to expect until you get there, it's when you're asked to ride... Read more