Side Trips from New Orleans Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go
Jam to Cajun and zydeco music. Ensembles of fiddles, accordions, and guitars produce eminently danceable folk music, with songs sung in a mélange of English and Cajun French. Zydeco, closely related to Cajun music, adds washboard and drums to the mix and has more of a blues-rock feel.
Marvel at plantation homes. These stately homes will have you reenacting your favorite scenes from Gone with the Wind. Some of them now stand in the shadow of massive chemical plants and oil refineries that now operate on the Mississippi River; some plantation ruins appear in the middle of cow fields or alongside bayous, further testifying to the clash between old and new.
Take a swamp tour. Ride through the beautiful wetlands surrounding New Orleans and Baton Rouge. You'll see alligators, snakes, nutria, and more in their natural habitat.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Lafayette Savings! Book at Super 8 Lafayette Fr $49+/Nt Expedia
- Book Now & Save! Lafayette Fr $75+/Nt Travelocity
- $14.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Lafayette Hotwire
- Special deal: 3-Star Residence Inn Marriott Lafayette Fr $112+/Nt — $112 Expedia
- $12.95 & up : Compact rentals in Lafayette — $13 Hotwire