Getting Here and Around
Maine State Ferry Service. From Bass Harbor the Maine State Ferry Service operates a ferry, the Captain Henry Lee, carrying both passengers and vehicles to Swans Island (40 minutes, round-trip $17.50 per person and $49 per car with driver) and Frenchboro (50 minutes, round-trip $11.25 per person and $32.25 per car with driver). The Frenchboro ferry doesn't run daily; there's also a passenger-only trip on a smaller boat (same price) from April through November. Excursion rounds trips (you don't get off the boat) are $10. 45 Granville Rd., Bass Harbor, ME, 04653. 207/244-3254. www.maine.gov/mdot/msfs/.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book the Wonder View Inn & Suites 3 Nts in May Fr $145+/Nt Expedia
- $44.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Bar Harbor Hotwire
- $39.95 & up : Compact rentals in Bar Harbor — $40 Hotwire
- $38.95 & up : Economy rentals in Bar Harbor — $39 Hotwire