Sports and the Outdoors
Old Quarry Ocean Adventures. Old Quarry Ocean Adventures rents bikes, canoes, and kayaks and offers numerous boat trips and tours, starting at $37 per person. Departing from Webb Cove and passing Stonington Harbor en route to the outer islands, Captain Bill Baker's refurbished lobster takes visitors on puffin-watching, whale-watching, sunset, and lighthouse trips. There's also a three-hour Sightseeing and Natural History Eco-Cruise that goes by Crotch Island, which has one of the area's two active stone quarries, and stops at Green Island, where you can take a dip in a water-filled quarry. You'll learn about the region's natural history and the history of Stonington and the local granite industry. There are all-day day trips to bike or kayak on nearby islands, including Isle au Haut. 130 Settlement Rd., Stonington, ME, 04681. 207/367-8977. www.oldquarry.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Bar Harbor Savings! Book at Wonder View Inn & Suites Fr $134+/Nt Expedia
- $42.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Bar Harbor Hotwire
- $48.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Bar Harbor — $49 Hotwire