Penobscot Bay Travel Guide
Fodor's Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire
Few could deny that Penobscot Bay is one of Maine's most dramatically beautiful regions. Its 1,000-mi-long coastline is made up of rocky granite boulders, wild and often undeveloped shore, a sprinkling of colorful towns, and views of the sea and shore that are a photographer's dream.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Penobscot Bay restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Penobscot Bay
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- Farnsworth Art Museum
- Penobscot Marine Museum
- Penobscot Narrows Bridge & Observatory Tower/Fort Knox Historic Site
- View all
- May deal: Quality Inn Fr $110+/Nt Expedia
- Visit Bangor for Less: Hotels Fr $109+/Nt Travelocity
- $27.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Bangor Hotwire
- Bangor Savings! Book at Courtyard by Marriott Bangor Fr $128+/Nt — $128 Expedia
- $24.95 & up : Economy rentals in Bangor — $25 Hotwire
This week (April 20-28) is National Parks Week, meaning visitors can enjoy the great outdoors sans entry... Read more
If you have favorite beaches on Maui, Jamaica, and St.... Read more
Kate Christensen, author of the recently released novel The Astral, takes us on a walking tour of endlessly... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Now47° F Light Rain 97% Humidity May 25, 2013 at 2:53AM
Check historic weather for your trip datesArriving:
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Way too short, needless to say, but I think we got a lot in and saw some amazing locations, met very friendly people and ate some scrumptious food!
We were visiting family in Lynn, MA and drove north o Read more
A quick overview of where we ate during out 10 days on MDI
Morninglory Bakery Cafe is our favorite, we prefer quick, smallish breakfasts. Read more