The second-largest city in the state (Portland being the largest), Bangor is about 20 mi from the coast and is the unofficial capital of northern Maine. Back in the 19th century the "Queen City's" most important product and export was lumber from the state's vast North Woods. Now, because of its airport, Bangor has become a gateway to Mount Desert Island, Bar Harbor, and Acadia National Park.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $97.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Bangor Hotwire
- Visit Bangor for Less: Hotels Fr $101+/Nt Travelocity
- $24.95 & up : Economy rentals in Bangor Hotwire
- Holiday Inn Bangor-Odlin Road in May: $125 & Up — $125 Expedia
- $26.95 & up : Compact rentals in Bangor — $27 Hotwire