Farnsworth Art Museum
Farnsworth Art Museum Review
One of the most important small museums in the country, much of its collection is devoted to Maine-related works of the famous Wyeth family: N. C. Wyeth, an accomplished illustrator whose works were featured in many turn-of-the-20th-century books; his late son Andrew, one of the country's best-known painters; and Andrew's son James, also an accomplished painter, who like his elders before him summers nearby. Galleries in the main building always display some of Andrew Wyeth's works, such as The Patriot, Witchcraft, and Turkey Pond. The Wyeth Center, a former church, shows art by his father and son. The museum's collection also includes works by Fitz Henry Lane, George Bellows, Frank W. Benson, Edward Hopper (as watercolors they may be "resting"), Louise Nevelson, and Fairfield Porter. Changing exhibits are shown in the Jamien Morehouse Wing. The Farnsworth Homestead, a handsome circa-1850 Greek Revival dwelling that is part of the museum, retains its original lavish Victorian furnishings (closed for maintenance, to reopen in 2013).
Olson House. In Cushing, a tiny town about 10 mi south of Thomaston on the St. George River, the museum operates the Olson House, which is depicted in Andrew Wyeth's famous painting Christina's World as well as other works by the artist. The oldest part of the home was built in the late 1700s; guided tours only. 384 Hawthorn Point Rd., Cushing, 04563. Museum and Olson house, $17; Olson house only, $10. Late May-June, Wed.-Sun. noon-5; July-early Oct., Tues.-Sun. 11-5 (last tour at 4).
- Address: 16 Museum St., Rockland, ME, 04841 | Map It
- Phone: 207/596-6457
- Cost: $12 for museum
- Hours: Jan.--March, Wed.--Sun. 10--5; April, May, Nov., and Dec., Tues.--Sun. 10--5; June--Oct., Mon. and Tues. and Thurs.--Sun. 10--5, Wed. 10--8
- Website: www.farnsworthmuseum.org
- Location: Rockland
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $95.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Bangor Hotwire
- Look no Further! Bangor Hotels Fr $101+/Nt Travelocity
- $21.95 & up : Economy rentals in Bangor Hotwire
- May deal: Econo Lodge Fr $97+/Nt — $97 Expedia
- $23.95 & up : Compact rentals in Bangor — $24 Hotwire
Way too short, needless to say, but I think we got a lot in and saw some amazing locations, met very friendly people and ate some scrumptious food!
We were visiting family in Lynn, MA and drove north o Read more
A quick overview of where we ate during out 10 days on MDI
Morninglory Bakery Cafe is our favorite, we prefer quick, smallish breakfasts. Read more
Hello, my husband and I are taking a road trip from Michigan to New England in early August. Read more
· News & Features
This week (April 20-28) is National Parks Week, meaning visitors can enjoy the great outdoors sans entry... Read more
If you have favorite beaches on Maui, Jamaica, and St.... Read more
Kate Christensen, author of the recently released novel The Astral, takes us on a walking tour of endlessly... Read more