- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum
Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum Review
Whether you're crazy about old trains or just want to see the sights from a different perspective, the railroad museum has an extensive collection of locomotives and rail coaches and offers scenic tours on narrow-gauge railcars. The 3-mi jaunts run on the hour and take you along Casco Bay, at the foot of the Eastern Promenade. The operating season caps off with a Halloween ride (wear your costumes). During the Christmas season the trains run (museum is closed) for Polar Express rides, based on the popular children's book.
- Address: 58 Fore St., Portland, ME, 04101 | Map It
- Phone: 207/828-0814
- Cost: Train $10 (includes admission), museum $3
- Hours: May-Oct., daily 10--4 (last ride at 3); April, weekends 10-4 (also open daily Maine school break week)
- Website: www.mainenarrowgauge.org
- Location: The Old Port
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99 -- Maine: Historic Seaside 'Great Country Inn', $100 Off York Harbor Inn
This past weekend I travelled with a group of friends to Southern Oregon.- started in Eugene We travelled south on I-5 to Oakland, an old historic town. The main street consists mostly of antique stores Read more
Back home safe and sound...had a wonderful trip and enjoyed seeing 'new for us' territories!
We left Sun City at 3 on April 1..Easter Monday and drove to Flagstaff. Desert flowers were beautiful Read more
I had a chance to spent some time on a cruise ship traveling around North America,
so wanted to share some pictures from the trip; hope you will enjoy it!
http://www.allphotobangkok.com/index.php/around-north-america-cruise-ship-travel/ Read more
· News & Features
This week (April 20-28) is National Parks Week, meaning visitors can enjoy the great outdoors sans entry... Read more
If you have favorite beaches on Maui, Jamaica, and St.... Read more
Kate Christensen, author of the recently released novel The Astral, takes us on a walking tour of endlessly... Read more