- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Inn on Carleton
At a Glance
- most rooms have electric fireplaces
- English garden with fountain
- not an easy walk to the Old Port
Inn on Carleton Review
Though operating for years, this West End inn was completely redone after it was sold in 2010 to the attentive resident innkeeper. The 1869 Victorian has a curved mahogany staircase to the third floor, a bay window overlooking the street from the front parlor, and gleaming pumpkin pine floors. Elegantly styled but not overly ornamented guest rooms have distinctive beds (low four-posters, sleigh) and updated baths with tile showers and pedestal sinks (room four also has the original claw-foot tub). An array of snacks and drinks are always on hand. Breakfast is served in the dining room beyond the parlor.
- Address: 46 Carleton St., Portland, ME, 04102
- Phone: 207/775-1910; 800/639-1770
- Location: Portland
- 6 rooms.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99 -- Maine: Historic Seaside 'Great Country Inn', $100 Off York Harbor Inn
This past weekend I travelled with a group of friends to Southern Oregon.- started in Eugene We travelled south on I-5 to Oakland, an old historic town. The main street consists mostly of antique stores Read more
Back home safe and sound...had a wonderful trip and enjoyed seeing 'new for us' territories!
We left Sun City at 3 on April 1..Easter Monday and drove to Flagstaff. Desert flowers were beautiful Read more
We (husband and 6 yr old son) will be flying to Seattle on July 4th, staying the weekend. Read more
· News & Features
This week (April 20-28) is National Parks Week, meaning visitors can enjoy the great outdoors sans entry... Read more
If you have favorite beaches on Maui, Jamaica, and St.... Read more
Kate Christensen, author of the recently released novel The Astral, takes us on a walking tour of endlessly... Read more