Sports and the Outdoors
Kennebunk Plains. For an unusual exploring treat, visit the Kennebunk Plains, a 135-acre protected grasslands habitat that is home to several rare and endangered species of vegetation and wildlife. Locally known as the blueberry plains, a good portion of the area is abloom with the hues of ripening wild blueberries in late July; after August 1 visitors are welcome to pick and eat all the berries they can find. The roads take you through vast grasslands and scrub-oak woods and by ponds. The area is maintained by the Nature Conservancy and is open daily from sunrise to sunset. Route 99, Kennebunk, ME, 04043. From U.S. 1 take Route 9A west, turn right on Route 99, watch for sign. 207/729-5181 Nature Conservancy in Maine office. www.nature.org.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save at 3-Star Fireside Inn & Suites Portland: $141 & Up in May Expedia
- Residence Inn Portland Downtown / Waterfront in May: $256 & Up Expedia
- Unbelievable Price! 2 Nts Embassy Suites Portland + Air Fr $430 Travelocity
- $118 & Up: Howard Johnson Plaza Portland 3-Star Hotel in Portland — $118 Expedia
- May deal: La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland Fr $130+/Nt — $130 Expedia