Sports and the Outdoors
Scarborough Marsh Audubon Center. Not far from Old Orchard Beach is this Maine Audubon Society-run nature center. You can explore this natural haven by foot or canoe on your own, or by signing up for a guided walk or paddle. The salt marsh is Maine's largest and is an excellent place for bird-watching and peaceful paddling along its winding ways. The center has a discovery room for kids, programs for all ages ranging from basket making to astronomy, and a good gift shop. Tours include birding walks. Pine Point Rd., (Rte. 9), Scarborough, ME, 04074. 207/883-5100. www.maineaudubon.org. Free; guided tours begin at $5. Daily, 9:30-5:30 mid-June-Labor Day; weekends only Memorial Day weekend-mid-June and through Sept. after Labor Day.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99 -- Maine: Historic Seaside 'Great Country Inn', $100 Off York Harbor Inn