Museums of Old York
Museums of Old York Review
Nine historic 18th- and 19th-century buildings, clustered on York Street and along Lindsay Road and the York River, highlight York's rich history starting in early Colonial times. The Old York Gaol (1719) was once the King's Prison for the Province of Maine; inside are dungeons, cells, and the jailer's quarters. The many period rooms in the Emerson-Wilcox House—the main part was built in 1742—display items from daily life here in centuries past, including furniture from as early as the 1600s and an impressive ceramic dishware collection. The 1731 Elizabeth Perkins House reflects the Victorian style of its last occupants, the prominent Perkins family. You can buy tickets at the Parsons Education Center, which has changing exhibits, or at the Gaol. A ticket for all the buildings (many are self-guided) is good for the season.
George Marshall Store Gallery. Storefront windows and bead board trim at the George Marshall Store Gallery, built in 1867, pay homage to its past as a general store, but the focus here is on the present. Changing exhibits of works by prominent and up-and-coming regional artists change every five weeks from April through December. 140 Lindsay Road, 03909. 207/351-1083. www.georgemarshallstoregallery.com. Early June-Columbus Day weekend, Tues.-Sat. 10-5, Sun. 1-5; mid-Oct.-early June, Wed.-Sun. but hours vary.
- Address: Parsons Education Center, 6 Lindsay Rd., York Village, ME, 03909
- Phone: 207/363-4974
- Cost: All buildings $12 (valid for the season); $6 for one building
- Hours: Early June--Sat. before Columbus Day, most buildings Mon.--Sat. 9:30--4
- Website: www.oldyork.org
- Location: York Village
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99 -- Maine: Historic Seaside 'Great Country Inn', $100 Off York Harbor Inn
Way too short, needless to say, but I think we got a lot in and saw some amazing locations, met very friendly people and ate some scrumptious food!
We were visiting family in Lynn, MA and drove north o Read more
A quick overview of where we ate during out 10 days on MDI
Morninglory Bakery Cafe is our favorite, we prefer quick, smallish breakfasts. Read more
We're a family of 4 with 2 teenagers, planning to spend a week in the Boston area and wanting to spend a little time in as many states as possible. Read more
· News & Features
This week (April 20-28) is National Parks Week, meaning visitors can enjoy the great outdoors sans entry... Read more
If you have favorite beaches on Maui, Jamaica, and St.... Read more
Kate Christensen, author of the recently released novel The Astral, takes us on a walking tour of endlessly... Read more