Getting Here and Around
York Trolley Co.. From late June through Labor Day, York Trolley Co.'s bright red trolleys link Short Sands Beach in York Beach village and nearby Long Sands Beach, running along U.S. 1A with a number of stops. Route maps can be picked up throughout York and at the local chamber; fares are $1.50 one-way and $3 for the round trip. You can also connect with a shuttle service to Ogunquit. The trolley is part of the Shoreline Explorer network (207/324-5762 Ext. 2932, www.shorelineexplorer.com), which links seasonal trolleys in southern Maine beach towns from the Yorks to the Kennebunks, allowing visitors to travel between towns without their cars. 207/363-9600. www.yorktrolley.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99 -- Maine: Historic Seaside 'Great Country Inn', $100 Off York Harbor Inn