No visit to the Maine Coast is complete without some outdoor activity—be it generated by two wheels, two feet, two paddles, or pulling a bag full of clubs.
Bicycle Coalition of Maine (207/623-4511. www.bikemaine.org.)
Explore Maine by Bike. www.exploremaine.org/bike.
are both excellent sources for trail maps and other riding information, including where to rent bikes.
Hiking: Exploring the Maine coast on foot is a quick way to acclimate to the relaxed pace of life here.
Healthy Maine Walks. Healthy Maine Walks has comprehensive listings for walks that can be done in an hour or less, from park paths to routes that follow roads and streets. www.healthymainewalks.com.
Kayaking: Nothing gets you literally off the beaten path like plying the salt waters in a graceful sea kayak.
Maine Association of Sea Kayaking Guides and Instructors. Maine Association of Sea Kayaking Guides and Instructors are state-licensed and offer instructional classes and guided tours, plan trips, and rent equipment. www.maskgi.org.
Maine Island Trail Association. More seasoned paddlers can join the Maine Island Trail Association ($45, $65 for a family) for a map of and full access to Maine's famous sea trail: 200 islands and mainland sites, most private but open to members, on a 375-mi path from the southernmost coast to the Canadian Maritimes. Member benefits also include discounts at outfitters and retailers, including L.L. Bean. Join online or at businesses like kayak outfitters. The web site also lists a handful of free public kayaking sites. 207/761-8225. www.mita.org.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99 -- Maine: Historic Seaside 'Great Country Inn', $100 Off York Harbor Inn