Getting Here and Around
From the south, Route 35 winds along the east side of Long Lake to Harrison, through the Waterfords, and on to Bethel. Route 5 leads to Bethel from Center Lovell. The two roads overlap en route to Bethel, then split off from each other several miles south of town. Either road will get you there, but Route 5 is a little shorter and especially pretty come fall, with lots of overhanging trees. From the west, U.S. 2 passes through the White Mountain National Forest as it enters Maine from New Hampshire and continues to Bethel and nearby Newry, home of Sunday River ski resort.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99 -- Maine: Historic Seaside 'Great Country Inn', $100 Off York Harbor Inn