Sugarloaf Mountain Resort. Abundant natural snow, a huge mountain, and the only above-tree-line lift-service skiing in the East have made Sugarloaf Mountain Resort one of Maine's best-known ski areas with 14 lifts, 153 trails and glades, ski school, and rentals. Two slope-side hotels and hundreds of slope-side condominiums provide ski-in, ski-out access, and the base village has restaurants and shops. The Outdoor Center has more than 60 miles of cross-country ski trails as well as snowshoeing, snow tubing, and ice-skating. There's also plenty for the kids, from day care to special events. Once you are here, a car is unnecessary—a shuttle connects all mountain operations. Summer is much quieter than winter, but you can mountain bike, fish, hike, ride a chairlift, and zip-line, plus golf at the superb 18-hole, Robert Trent Jones Jr.-designed golf course ($59-$89 with cart, cost varies by season). 5092 Access Rd., Carrabassett Valley, ME, 04947. 207/237-2000; 207/237-6808 snow conditions; 800/843-5623 reservations. www.sugarloaf.com/index.html.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $116* & up -- Last-Minute Las Vegas Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $129 & up -- New Orleans 4-Star Hotel on Bourbon Street BookIt.com
- $149 & up -- 5-Diamond Venetian Resort w/Extras, Save 50% BookIt.com
- $675 & up -- Sheraton Kauai: 3-Nt. Vacation w/Car Rental Pleasant Holidays
- $419 & up -- Last Minute: 4-Night Bahamas & Key West Cruise Royal Caribbean