- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to Baltimore
Relive American History: Take a water taxi to see Fort McHenry, the site of a relentless British attack during the war of 1812. The fort never fell and the sight of its flag after the battle inspired the words that later became the national anthem.
Explore a Revitalized Addition to the Inner Harbor: The former industrial zone just east of the tourist-oriented Inner Harbor, now called Harbor East, has become a chic destination with some of the city's best restaurants, shopping, and people-watching.
Visit the Country's Most Inspiring Museum: The American Visionary Art Museum, which highlights artists outside the mainstream, is a glorious ode to the creative impulse, a family-friendly joy to behold both inside and out. In May, be sure to check out the Kinetic Sculpture Race—art on wheels!
Get Wild and Zany at Honfest: For one weekend each June, thousands gussy up to celebrate Honfest in Hampden in the traditional attire of a Baltimore "hon": beehive hairdos and cat's-eye glasses.
Crack 'Em and Eat 'Em like a Baltimorean: Baltimore loves crabs, especially at Bo Brooks in Canton—one of the city's best crab houses—where you can crack into a piping-hot crustacean year-round.
Taste the Country's First Tiramisu: Piedigrotta Bakery, on the edge of historical Little Italy, claims to have invented tiramisu. Try it for yourself—a big wedge is only a couple of bucks.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $169 & up -- 4.5-Star Loews Madison Hotel D.C., Save 40% Expedia
- $79 -- Capitol Hill Hotel near Historic Sites, Reg. $452 BookIt.com
- $18 & up -- Baltimore: Admission to 9 Museums, up to 25% Off Featured Destination: Baltimore
- $87 & up -- D.C. Hotel w/Wi-Fi & Daily Breakfast, 60% Off — $87 BookIt.com
- Free -- Zip Around Baltimore: 4 Popular Routes — $0 Charm City Circulator