- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Baltimore's arts and cultural center, Mount Vernon is home to the Walters Art Museum and the Peabody Institute conservatory—one of the country's top music schools—as well as some of the city's grandest architecture.
The Walters and nearby Mount Vernon Place, a wonderfully designed park, are two of the neighborhood's must-sees. A good plan is to visit the Walters first then rest for a while in Mount Vernon Place. You'll need a breather before and after climbing the Washington Monument, which sits in the middle of the park. After, there are plenty of restaurants on or near Charles Street, the neighborhood thoroughfare. From the Inner Harbor, you can walk up Charles Street into the heart of Mount Vernon in about 25-30 minutes. You can also drive or take the No. 3 bus.
The area was named for the nation's first significant monument to George Washington, erected at the neighborhood's center in Mount Vernon Place. In the 19th century Mount Vernon was home to some of Baltimore's wealthiest residents, including Enoch Pratt, a wealthy merchant who donated funds for the first public library; Robert Garrett, of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad; and Henry and William Walters, who founded the art gallery that bears their names. Though some of the grand houses here remain single-family residences, many have been turned into apartments or offices.
Mount Vernon at a Glance
- Basilica of the Assumption
- Contemporary Museum
- Enoch Pratt Free Library
- First Unitarian Church
- Garrett-Jacobs Mansion
- Great Blacks in Wax Museum
Elsewhere in Baltimore
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $75-$79 -- Capitol Hill Hotel near Historic Sites, 65% Off BookIt.com
- $83 & up -- D.C. Hotel w/Wi-Fi & Daily Breakfast, 50% Off BookIt.com
- $18 & up -- Baltimore: Admission to 9 Museums, up to 25% Off Featured Destination: Baltimore
- $169 & up -- 4.5-Star Loews Madison Hotel D.C., Save 40% — $169 Expedia
- Free -- Zip Around Baltimore: 4 Popular Routes — $0 Charm City Circulator