Established in 1890 as Knowles Station, Kensington was one of Montgomery County's first villages. Borrowing both its name and architecture from the tony London neighborhood, Kensington was a planned Victorian community from the start. Its neighbor Garrett Park even has a few "Chevy houses." Built in the 1920s, these smallish houses came with a mortgage that financed a Chevrolet in the driveway and an RCA radio inside. Start on Armory Avenue and wander through the historic district to see the entire spectrum of domestic architecture here.
Kensington at a Glance
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $104* & up -- Flights for Next Weekend on American, R/T American Airlines
- $75-$79 -- Capitol Hill Hotel near Historic Sites, 65% Off BookIt.com
- $83 & up -- D.C. Hotel w/Wi-Fi & Daily Breakfast, 50% Off BookIt.com
- $18 & up -- Baltimore: Admission to 9 Museums, up to 25% Off Featured Destination: Baltimore
- $169 & up -- 4.5-Star Loews Madison Hotel D.C., Save 40% — $169 Expedia