The popular translation of the Native American name "Patawomeck" is "they are coming by water." Although today's visitors are likely to drive, it is still possible to view the mighty Potomac River by hiking along the towpath of the C&O Canal and climbing the rocks at Great Falls, which Maryland and Virginia share a view of from opposite banks. Potomac is also known for its elegant estates and houses, as it is one of the wealthiest communities in the United States.
Potomac at a Glance
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $104* & up -- Flights for Next Weekend on American, R/T American Airlines
- $75-$79 -- Capitol Hill Hotel near Historic Sites, 65% Off BookIt.com
- $83 & up -- D.C. Hotel w/Wi-Fi & Daily Breakfast, 50% Off BookIt.com
- $18 & up -- Baltimore: Admission to 9 Museums, up to 25% Off Featured Destination: Baltimore
- $169 & up -- 4.5-Star Loews Madison Hotel D.C., Save 40% — $169 Expedia