The Eastern Shore Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to Maryland's Eastern Shore
Sail on a Historic Skipjack: Though they once dominated the Chesapeake Bay waterways, these traditional fishing vessels are now nearly extinct—but you can hop aboard one of the few remaining ones and experience a bit of history.
Crack into Maryland's Trademark Crustacean: Don't leave the Eastern Shore without sampling the slightly sweet taste of the Chesapeake renowned blue crab at a down-home eatery, cracking shells with your own wooden mallet.
Get Back to Nature: Bike the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge or paddle the tidal marsh pathways of the Fishing Bay Water Trail and look for bald eagles.
Be Touristy in Ocean City: Maryland's barrier island has year-round leisure-time opportunities—mid-summer for 24/7 activity and unparalleled people-watching, mid-winter for bracing coastal solitude, or idyllic moments in the months in between.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $140* & up -- Nationwide Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $75-$79 -- Capitol Hill Hotel near Historic Sites, 65% Off BookIt.com
- $83 & up -- D.C. Hotel w/Wi-Fi & Daily Breakfast, 50% Off BookIt.com
- $18 & up -- Baltimore: Admission to 9 Museums, up to 25% Off Featured Destination: Baltimore
- $104* & up -- Flights for Next Weekend on American, R/T — $104 American Airlines