- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
A car is indispensable for touring the region. To reach the Eastern Shore from Baltimore or Washington, D.C., travel east on U.S. 50/301 and cross the 4.5-mi Chesapeake Bay Bridge northeast of Annapolis (toll, $2.50, eastbound only). The extraordinary 17.5-mi Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel goes to Tidewater-area towns like Ocean City. The bridge-and-tunnel complex comprises 12 mi of trestled roadway, two tunnels, two bridges, almost 2 mi of causeway, among four man-made islands (toll, $12, in either direction).
Weekend traffic going to the beach can be exceptionally heavy during summertime months. Times to avoid if possible are Friday afternoon and evening as well as Saturday morning, eastbound, and Sunday afternoon and evening, westbound. You can see live webcams of bridge traffic at www.baybridge.com. Your trip over the bridge will be expedited by using EZPass, allowing you to drive in designated lanes (www.ezpass.com).
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $169 & up -- 4.5-Star Loews Madison Hotel D.C., Save 40% Expedia
- $79 -- Capitol Hill Hotel near Historic Sites, Reg. $452 BookIt.com
- $18 & up -- Baltimore: Admission to 9 Museums, up to 25% Off Featured Destination: Baltimore
- $87 & up -- D.C. Hotel w/Wi-Fi & Daily Breakfast, 60% Off — $87 BookIt.com
- Free -- Zip Around Baltimore: 4 Popular Routes — $0 Charm City Circulator