- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Nichols House Review
The only Mt. Vernon Street home open to the public, the Nichols House was built in 1804 and is attributed to Charles Bulfinch. It became the lifelong home of Rose Standish Nichols (1872-1960), Beacon Hill eccentric, philanthropist, peace advocate, and one of the first female landscape designers. Although Miss Nichols inherited the Victorian furnishings, she added a number of colonial-style pieces to the mix, such as an American Empire rosewood sideboard and a bonnet-top Chippendale highboy. The result is a delightful mélange of styles. Nichols made arrangements in her will for the house to become a museum, and knowledgeable volunteers from the neighborhood have been playing host since then. To see the house, you must take a tour (included in the price of admission).
- Address: 55 Mt. Vernon St., Beacon Hill, Boston, MA, 02108 | Map It
- Phone: 617/227-6993
- Cost: $7
- Hours: Apr.--Oct., Tues.--Sat. 11--4; Nov.--Mar., Thurs.--Sat. 11--4. First tour at 11, tours on ½ hr thereafter; last tour starts at 4
- Website: www.nicholshousemuseum.org
- Metro Park St.
- Location: Beacon Hill, Boston Common, and the Old West End
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $179 & up -- 4-Star Boston Hotel in Back Bay, up to 50% Off Sheraton Boston
- $269 -- Boston: 4-Star Back Bay Hotel thru Summer, 30% Off The Westin Copley Place
- $158 -- Boston: 4-Star Quincy Market Hotel — $158 Hotwire.com
So what are the odds that my only friend who lives in Boston would decide to have her wedding festivities the same week that a supposed terrorist was on the lose in Boston?!
My husband and I flew to Bosto Read more
8 of us went to the Patriot's Day game on Monday. Read more
We will both be 22 years old by the time we fly out and have recently completed university. We are coming over to the USA to experience the big cities, the bars, the beaches, the culture Read more
· News & Features
This week has been a strange and tragic one and we've followed the events in Boston with heavy hearts... Read more
If you want to help in the aftermath of Monday afternoon's bombings near the finish line of the Bosto... Read more
We've thought of 5 reasons for East Coasters to brave chilly temps—an afternoon of culture.... Read more