Mark Your Calendar
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mark Your Calendar
Greater Boston Convention & Visitors Bureau. There's always something happening in Boston. For a full selection, consult the Greater Boston Convention & Visitors Bureau. MA. 888/733-2678. www.bostonusa.com.
Boston Wine Expo. Oenophiles rejoice in mid-January when the Boston Wine Expo returns to the Seaport World Trade Center. MA. www.wineexpoboston.com.
First Night. Boston celebrates New Year's Eve with First Night. A day of artsy, alcohol-free events peaks at midnight with fireworks over the Harbor. MA. www.firstnight.org.
Boston Marathon. The third Monday in April (Patriot's Day), runners race 26.2 miles (www.bostonmarathon.org) from Hopkinton to Boylston Street, and horsemen reenact Paul Revere's Ride (www.nationallancers.org) from the North End to Lexington.
Boston Pops Concert & Fireworks Display. The Boston Pops Concert & Fireworks Display at the Hatch Shell caps it off on Independence Day. MA. www.July4th.org.
Harborfest. Harborfest, Boston's six-day July 4 celebration, sponsors more than 200 events—including the USS Constitution Turnaround Cruise. MA. www.bostonharborfest.com.
Boston Film Festival. Get reel in mid-September at the weeklong Boston Film Festival. Independent films premiere, with directors and actors adding star power. MA. www.bostonfilmfestival.org.
Head of the Charles Regatta. In mid-October, college crew teams compete in the Head of the Charles Regatta, the world's largest two-day rowing event. MA. www.hocr.org.
Fall Outside the City
Working Waterfront Festival. In late September, New Bedford's commercial anglers strut their stuff at the Working Waterfront Festival, showcasing their skills and loads of fresh seafood. MA. www.workingwaterfrontfestival.org.
Essex County's Topsfield Fair (www.topsfieldfair.org), the nation's oldest agricultural event, happens in October; and Salem hosts candlelight tours, witch trial reenactments, and other Haunted Happenings (www.hauntedhappenings.com) all month.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $140* & up -- Nationwide Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $99 -- Maine: Historic Seaside 'Great Country Inn', $100 Off York Harbor Inn
- $179 & up -- 4-Star Boston Hotel in Back Bay, up to 50% Off Sheraton Boston
- $269 -- Boston: 4-Star Back Bay Hotel thru Summer, 30% Off — $269 The Westin Copley Place
- $156 -- Boston: 4-Star Quincy Market Hotel — $156 Hotwire.com