- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go
Exploring the beaches: Cape Cod National Seashore has serious surf and sand dunes so tall that they block the late-afternoon sun. The beaches are also contiguous, so you can walk from Eastham to Provincetown if you've got the stamina.
Browsing art galleries: Wellfleet's town center has nearly two dozen art galleries representing local and national artists, and Provincetown is at least its match. The works aren't limited to kitschy seaside scenes—you can also find abstract works and interesting crafts.
Watching for whales: Several species of whales frequent the area from April to mid-October. These massive creatures to swim so close to whale-watching boats that you can often look them in the eye. Boats depart from Provincetown's harbor.
Strolling Commercial Street: One continuous parade, Commercial Street is Provincetown's best place to see and be seen. Day-trippers, drag queens, and couples of all kinds fill the street day and night. Keep an eye out for a Cher impersonator riding a scooter.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99 -- Maine: Historic Seaside 'Great Country Inn', $100 Off York Harbor Inn